Archive

Archive for the ‘religious’ Category

Ushaw Moor Historical Website – Religious History (Catholic)

November 23, 2011 4 comments

Catholic Church

The first St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church (Click to VIEW) was established in Ushaw Moor and opened on December 19th 1909. It was a corrugated iron structure and cost £474. Father Beech and his curate, Michael Shelley, were the priests responsible, travelling from Newhouse on horseback or by train, for the first two years. The first baptism took place on January 16th 1910, the infant being named Thomas Nugent, and the first marriage took place on April 15th 1911 between Matthew Rutter and Edith Webster of New Brancepeth.

Attendances at Mass were averaging 320 with 203 at Benediction. In December 1911 Father Shelley came to live in Durham Road where a house was built which accommodated the priest until 1931 when a new presbytery was erected with the new church. On May 23rd 1925 Ushaw Moor became an independent parish consisting of Ushaw Moor, Broompark and New Brancepeth. Bearpark came into the parish in 1935. On June 19th 193O Bishop Thorman laid the foundation stone for a new, church. Most of the ground clearing and digging of foundations was carried out by parishioners. The bell for the new building was given by the people of Ballingarry, County Tipperary. Almost a year later on April 21st 1931, the new St. Joseph’s Church was opened by Bishop Joseph Thorman, with the first marriage ceremony taking place four days later between William Regan and Imelda Cairns and the first baptism being performed on Eileen Veronica Illand on April 26th.

After seven years the church was free of debt and on 17th May 1938 Bishop McCormack performed the ceremony of consecration.

The following year, as a result of war being declared, children from high risk areas were evacuated and St. Joseph’s welcomed children from St. Wilfred’s, Gateshead and St. Philip’s, Dunston. At the evacuation of the troops from Dunkirk the school and hall were taken over to accommodate the soldiers.

On April 22nd 1946 Michael Shelley, the well-loved parish priest, died. A short while previously he had been created a canon of the diocese. His thirty-seven years of dedication having seen many changes in the mining community who were greatly influenced by his presence.

Father Whitaker succeeded Canon Shelley and under his guidance the Sanctuary was altered in 1955. Shortly after it’s completion he died on April 7th, 1956. The third parish priest to be appointed was Father L.V. Thompson.

A new hall was built on the foundations of the old church and was opened on 21st July 1979.

Paul Clough o^o

via Ushaw Moor Historical Website – Religious History.

Advertisements

Ushaw Moor Historical Website – Religious History (Baptist)

November 23, 2011 Leave a comment

Baptist Church

The Baptist Church at Ushaw Moor Colliery was formed in 1881. It’s first meetings were held in a hut which was loaned by the colliery company. This building which was poorly lit and badly ventilated, was probably one of the structures erected to house the first workmen.

It is recorded that at that time preaching became dangerous and, if one remembers that this was the year the strike took place at Ushaw Moor, it can be realised that many of the community were in no mood to accept teachings of compassion and non-aggression. The little group held together however, and particularly remembered was a little Welshman, David Price, and his wife who stuck to their convictions even though they were contrary to the spirit of the striking miners. In 1894 Pease & Partners, the new colliery owners, were approached for help.

They granted land some distance from the mine, in the expanding village of Ushaw Moor, and in addition gave building materials.  This church was completed by 1897 at a cost of £700 (Click TO VIEW).  The Sunday School room was added in 1925 and dedicated to the Esh Winning pioneer, Mr. John Raw. Robert Dixon, who was employed as a winderman at Ushaw Colliery, is remembered as a Sunday School superintendent of many years standing, along with Mrs. Henderson who was it’s secretary.

Paul Clough o^o

via Ushaw Moor Historical Website – Religious History.

Categories: history, religious Tags: ,

Ushaw Moor Historical Website – Religious History (Methodist)

November 22, 2011 3 comments

Methodist

The Wesleyan Methodists at Ushaw Colliery are first recorded as holding their meetings in 1894. Two leaders of the movement from New Brancepeth, Robert Bottoms and Isaac Wood are remembered as helping with the first services which were held in the colliery house of Mrs Metcalfe. Later the mine owners, Pease & Partners, allowed them to use ‘the huts’ , a row of 12 wooden houses which had been used to accommodate the first workmen.

The last two of these miserable dwellings (they had earth floors and were dark and cold) had been united to form a single large room which later became the first miners institute. Two years later the Wesleyans were allowed the use of the colliery office which was situated in the centre of South Street. A request was made to the colliery owners for a site on which to build a permanent church. Pease & Partners presented them with land and bricks , a gift valued at £125.

The new church was erected, and opened on the 1st September 1900 by Mrs Philipson, the total cost being £360, a debt which was cleared by 1912. As further consolidation it was included in the Crook Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. A harmonium was loaned by one of the members until 1903 when a larger American organ was purchased. In 1920 a small pipe organ was installed and dedicated to the memory of the men who died in the first world war. Ralph Wilson held the position of organist for 37 years The Chapel On The Hill as it became known locally or Esh Road Methodist Church which was its official name, held its last service on the 28th July 1954, after which the membership transferred to the Durham Road chapel in Ushaw moor.

Paul Clough o^o

via Ushaw Moor Historical Website – Religious History.

Salvation Army 1960

August 25, 2011 3 comments

Salvation Army Band - Whitehouse Court

This photograph was taken from my grandmothers house in Whitehouse court in the late 1960′s. It shows the Salvation Army band playing next to the green which is a memory I will always have of that time. Another sign of the times was kids palying in the street and hardly a car in sight.

thanks Michael Dickinson

Salvation Army - White House Court

From Original Ushaw Moor Memories BLOG

Ushaw College Swimming Bath

August 10, 2011 7 comments

Ushaw College Swimming Baths

Photo of Swimming Baths Ushaw College.

Anyone remember this ? Was it available for anyone to use or just the Students of the College ?

 

Ship shape From The Northern Echo

October 10, 2010 Leave a comment

They’d lived for two years at Ushaw Moor while he trained for the ministry in Durham, are delighted to be back in the North-East and to have more chance of watching Newcastle United. “I sort of married into it,” said Richard.They’re interested in Celtic Christianity, in football, folk music, arts, theatre, bread baking, politics and folk music, though not necessarily in that order, hope to work collaboratively to bring “hope, love and healing”to their communities.“It’s a big job and we can’t do it on our own,” said Richard. “It’s about building teams, working with our partner churches, being patient.”

via Ship shape From The Northern Echo.

Ushaw College – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

April 16, 2010 Leave a comment

Ushaw College – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Ushaw College (St Cuthbert’s College, Ushaw) is a Roman Catholic seminary, founded at Douai  as the English College, Douai in France in 1568, which moved to Ushaw Moor, four miles west of Durham in England  in 1808 and became a Licensed Hall of the University of Durham  in 1968. It is independent of the University but offers courses validated by the University. Both Church and lay students study at the college.

Some of the college’s buildings are no longer used, but some have been converted into a conference centre. The main college buildings are grade II listed, however the College Chapel is grade II* and the Chapel of St Michael is grade I. The Refectory was designed and built by Pugin, as was the original chapel although this was later dismantled and replaced by the present building designed by Dunn and Hansom. The original college buildings (1804-1808) were designed by James Taylor.

Early drawing of Ushaw designed (1804-1808) by James Taylor