Archive

Archive for October 17, 2009

Striking miners and the master of the colliery

October 17, 2009 Leave a comment
Ushaw Moor in 1932

Ushaw Moor in 1932

USHAW Moor’s original colliery village overlooked the actual colliery about three-quarters of a mile to the west of the present village and was the scene of a troublesome strike in the 1880s.

The colliery owner, Henry Chaytor, of Witton Castle, was an uncompromising master.

Sanitary conditions in his terraces were appalling and wooden huts housing additional miners were described as “the most wretched dwellings it was possible to conceive”.

Conditions in Chaytor’s mine were no better, and men complained of working in 18 inches of water.

READ MORE

Advertisements